Tuesday 29 May 2012

Boat Meal



When I look for meal ideas, I like to buy local, and cheap. This involves scouring the grocery stores for different items that cost less in the region we are in and build from there. Today my inspiration was chorizo sausage and local cheese,.which turned out to be tofu.... Damn language barriers. While looking through the store I noticed chorizo sausage was cheaper than hot dogs, bonus. So I went with it, and thought I would make a little jumbolaya. We went to the local produce stand and picked up an onion, a green pepper, and a carrot. Before bringing everything onto the boat, it all got bleached.

So I chopped half an onion, and sauted it in a bit of olive oil. The I added the green pepper and diced carrot. After about 5 min I added some garlic and chopped choritzo sausage. I let that cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, then added half a cup of rice, a small can of tomato paste and a cup of water. I brought this to a boil, then covered and let simmer. Once the rice was cooked I added a bit of tofu (should have been cheese) and voila, a hearty boat meal for under $3.

No comments: