Sunday 12 February 2012

At first it takes everyone a few nights to get use to sleeping on a rocking boat, expecialy if you own the boat. I sleep like a baby on the boat. I remember my Dad telling me when he would sleep in the focsle of his fishing boat it was like sleeping in the belly of a whale. I sleep wonderfully on a boat, especially at anchor in a quiet harbor on a clear (and calm) night. You get really in tune with the boat and surroundings, and wake at any sound out of place. Jennie can even sleep in the focsle when at times she goes zero gravity, she won't even blink. However, last night was a new lesson in sleeping on a boat.

First of it was below zero (32) degrees, in Florida. I thought we left the cold, but mother nature always has tricks up her sleeve. So we were bundled under layers of covers (even Dexter). That wasn't so bad, but what made it a new experience was how the boat reacted to the 35 knot winds. At the moment Cypraea is on "the hard", which means on land. She has 7 stands holding her upright, and 50% of her weight below the top of the jack stands, this is usually very stable. The wind was so strong last night that Cypraea would shake and bounce every time there was a big gust. But not the nice fluid motion that happens on water, kinda felt like driving over a rough road. This kept waking me up every once in a while, this and the cold. We don't have a heater either, who would have thought.

So living on the hard is hardly a rigid state, nothing with boats is. I leave this post with something my late brother Matthew said, "Anchoring is a dumb term, there isn't anything stationary about it."

No comments: