Monday 23 January 2012

Soup de Jour: homemade lobster bisque

I know this sounds pretty fancy, but we are currently trying to eat everything in our freezer, and today's contestant was a year old vacuumed sealed pack of artificial lobster meat. Yes it did look as good as it sounds.

So I did what I usually do, and took out my favourite cooking companion "The Joy of Cooking", and looked up lobster bisque. I did not have the exact ingredients, but I made due. The result was....AMAZING!

When Jennie finishes one of my culinary experiments I know I did good. When she heads in for seconds and is excited about leftovers, I must have done really good. I might have set the bar too high for future endeavours. The bisque came out sweet, and well seasoned and had the perfect mix of textures. It was a home run, that's why you get to hear about it.

So the measurements are not exactly accurate, but here's an attempt.

1/3 cup butter
1 onion

Heat up a med/lg pot and melt butter, once butter has clarified add finely diced onions. Cook onions until they are semi clear and soft. 10 to 15 min.

1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup milk

add milk and flour and mix in pot, mix well. 3 min.

1 can tomato soup
1 can chicken stock
3 small carrots
2 stalks of celery
1 tomato
soy sauce
lobster 1 or 2 (depending on budget/quality)

add can of tomato soup and can of chicken stock and mix well. Take vegetables and julienne into fine pieces and add to pot. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Mix and simmer. Add more milk if too thick. Chop up lobster meat and add to pot.

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt and peper to taste

put on medium low heat, place lid on pot and simmer for 30 min plus.

Serve and enjoy.


No comments: